Thursday, June 30, 2016

Whirlwinds, Isolation, and Blessings

I realized today that It has been over a month since I last updated this blog. When I tell you what has been happening, I am fairly sure you will forgive me. It has been nuts. In fact, so nuts that I cannot remember it all without going to my FB posts to retrieve the "real-time" updates. So, for you FB friends, SOME of this will be old news put into narrative form. Thank you for reading.

May 28 - We brought Caleb home from his NICU stay. It was a great week, tiring but great, as we tried to adjust to being a family of 4 and not sleeping because the littler boy wouldn't sleep. The bliss didn't last long.

June 5 - When I woke that morning, I could not foresee how that day would go. I was grocery shopping when Eric called that something was wrong with Caleb's breathing. I left a buggy of groceries with a store associate and told them I had an emergency and had to go. When I got home, I found a baby with "shuddery" breathing, While I was on the phone with the Nurse line, Caleb quit breathing.and then started again. I was terrified. I hung up the phone and we drove to the ER. I sat in the back and held Caleb to keep making him scream. If he was screaming, he was breathing. We arrived at the ER much like a scene from a movie. I was the barefooted mom running in the door and screaming that my baby wasn't breathing, only I was saying "having trouble breathing." It was terrifying. Eric handed Joshua off to our pastor's wife who met us at the ER. After a bit, the doctor decided that we needed the expertise of CHKD and had us transported us to CHKD via pediatric ambulance. (I rode with him but had to ride up front.) He was so tiny in the middle of that huge yellow transport cart. 
              At CHKD, the amazing ER staff immeidately surrounded Caleb and began to hook him up to IVs and monitors so they could watch what was happening, check his breathing and heart rate, and give him fluids and antibiotic. Eventually, he was admitted to a regular room. After every test imaginable (it seems), docs say Caleb had the rhinovirus. That's just a common strand of cold this year. It is complicated by the fact that he is so small. The fact that he could not breathe right was what caused the Brady's. On this day, he was only 1 month old and not even to term yet since he was 5 weeks early. They said they would keep him for 37-48 hours from the time of the blood culture.
              (FROM FB later that night) "Eric and I got home at midnight. It took for ever to get home from Norfolk since the midtown tunnel was closed, as were other key roads to make the route home easier. When you don't know an area and it is 11 at night it is a bit frustrating. But we made it. I don't know how Eric feels, but I have a serious headache. I miss my boys. Our house is too quiet. And sleeping together in the same bed is overrated when you miss your kiddos. I think we would trade that just to have our boys home."

Caleb was finally released from the hospital on June 8. He was much improved, but the congestion and cough were scary for a long while. I don't think Eric or I have totally slept at ease since then. Anyone who comes to our house must wash their hands and have on a clean shirt. We don't go much around kids or crowds. We are kind of in isolation until July 5 when Caleb gets his 2 month shots.

June 30 - Caleb is doing well now. He is growing like a weed. I think he is over 8 pounds now. He eats 3-4 ounces of formula every 2-3 hours. He is about to split out of the Newborn clothes and go entirely to 0-3 month clothes. Mommy isn't ready for that, but, yet, I am; because that means he is healthy.  I am so grateful that he is doing as well as he is. I am grateful for the prayers for our boys. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment