Saturday, May 28, 2016

Late Night Reflections as a Family of 4

We are home. All my guys are under one roof!! It is wonderful and a bit surreal. It has been a crazy ride. As I sit here in the quiet house and all the family sleeps, I decided to write a long over due blog post while I wait for Caleb's 11 feeding. I need to shift his meal times gradually over a few days, but tonight I feel like he has had enough changes for one day. We all have had enough for a week.

Over the past 3 days we have had "the perfect storms" collide here at Casa de Spence. Joshua got a cold that he shared with Eric who tried to share it with me. I have managed to ward it off, but my guys, not so much. So, in the midst of travelling to Norfolk every day and trying to balance time with my bigger boy, we have been fighting sickness. Then 3 nights ago, Joshua woke at 1 am with a fever of 104.6. By the time we arrived at the ER at 1:30, the fever had climbed to 105.8! Scary stuff, ya'll. I have never seen my almost 3 year old look like he did that night. The docs never did figure out what it was. The thought it looked like Roseola, but he never got the lacy rash. I have no idea, so I am calling it the phantom fever. Nutso. A spontaneous visit to the ER on May 26, our 15th wedding anniversary, was how we kicked off the "celebration." We closed it that night with a dinner to Outback and a visit to the NICU to see our Littler Boy. Not the romantic getaway to Chincoteague that we had planned, but I would not trade it for the world. (Well, except that 105.8 fever and trip to ER. That I would change.)

Now Joshua, on top of all the changes in his little life, has an impromptu case of the hives. He gets these every spring, but the time isn't great. The poor little guy was out of his mind tonight. Itching, coughing, over-tired, over-stimulated, and trying to adapt to life as big brother, he could not seem to rest tonight. It took Eric over 2 hours to get him to go to sleep. ONLY Daddy could do that because Joshua didn't want anyone else. Good daddy. Overall, I think Joshua loves his brother. He was so cute touching him and saying "This is my brother, Cay-love. He is tiny. You brought him home!" He was so cute. I think those two will be best buds.

We are so thankful that Eric's parents made the 7+ hour trip up from SC to help with Joshua and well, everything else. And it has been nice for Joshua to remain in his house for several days instead of with all the wonderful people who have watched him during the days so I could go to Norfolk. I don't know what I would have done with our church family. Several families volunteered to keep Joshua. Our pastor's wife said she would be our "go to" person for care...and Joshua LOVES her boys. I think he had more fun with her than with mommy. HA! Mommy is boring, Mrs. Katie is cool. When Katie was unavailable, 4 other families helped out too. I am so grateful. And 2 meals arrived at our house last week on days when I thought I would drop with exhaustion. It has been amazing.

As I sit here in the dark and prepare to go get that littler boy for a late night snack and set my alarm for the early morning one, I am grateful. My heart is so full. My head hurts and my body aches, but my heart is full. The road to this point has been hard. Really hard, but I love having all my family under one roof. It is worth it all. Goodnight, folks. More another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment